Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Stephen O’Flynn signs for Northampton

LIMERICK FC’s star striker Stephen O’Flynn is today expected to put pen to paper with English League Two outfit Northampton Town.


Stephen O’Flynn (pictured above) scored 14 goals in 13 appearances for Pat Scully’s Limerick in the second half of last season and it was hoped that the Mallow man would re-sign for the new season with the Super Blues. The 27-year-old flew to England in December for a trial and impressed manager Ian Sampson and all at the Sixfields Stadium. O’Fynn was offered an initial six-month contract by the Cobblers.
“I’m buzzing - I feel like a schoolboy again. I’m 27 and I’ve been given an opportunity that a teenager would give anything for. I’m totally humbled by this,” said O’Flynn.
“I flew over to Northampton for a few days and they said they decided to sign me until the end of the season. I don’t want this to be a six-month break from Irish football. I want to make it work because the last year and a half was hard enough.”
This is O’Flynn’s second spell cross channel. He previously lined out with Wimbledon before returning to Ireland where he enjoyed two successful spells with Limerick as well as Derry City, Galway Utd and Cork City.
O’Flynn joins a Northampton side that are currently in 16th place in League Two - nine points off the promotion play-offs.

Jerome O’Connell

0 comments:

Post a Comment