Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Market’s Field project moves a step forward

LIMERICK FC’s potential return to the Market’s Field moved a significant step forward yesterday afternoon following a meeting between the Eircom League club, representatives of Bord na gCon and Limerick City Council. A working group has now been established to look at the possibility of re-developing the Market’s Field into a municipal stadium.
Limerick FC CEO Andrew Mawhinney was encouraged by the reaction of Limerick City Council to the proposed re-development of the Market’s Field: “Everyone at the meeting was in agreement that a multi-purpose facility is the best possible solution for the site. Des McMahon, of Gilroy McMahon (a firm of architects), made a 20-minute presentation to the meeting and it was obvious that everyone there was impressed.
“It’s also clear that the City Council want something to happen.
“No deadline has been set for a decision to be made,” added Andrew Mawhinney, “but I am personally pleased with the way the meeting went and I would hope to have something concrete to announce within a couple of months.
“I would also like to stress that it is obvious that the council appreciate their moral responsibility to develop the site and what it could mean to Limerick city.”
Speaking to Leader Sport yesterday FAI CEO John Delaney said he was excited by the prospect of Limerick FC’s potential return to the Market’s Field: “That is something that I would love to see.
“I grew up only 24 miles from here in Tipperary Town and as a boy I was brought into the Market’s Field - my dad was chairman of Waterford, so I can’t say that I was shouting for Limerick.
“Those were wonderful days, Eoin Hand, Tony Ward and Johnny Walsh and players like that - you don't forget those memories.
“I think Limerick football club lost its soul a bit when it moved from the Market’s Field and I would love to see it back there, I really would.”
Meanwhile Limerick FC continue their preparations for their first outing in the 2009 Eircom League when they face UCD on Friday night. Although the Super Blues find themselves without a first team manager Dave Mahedy, Paul O’Connell and Mick Sheils have taken responsibility for the 20-man playing squad.

Brian McDonnell

0 comments:

Post a Comment