Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Across The Gain Line . . . with Colm Kinsella

THE first thing I would tell anyone joining Munster is to leave their feelings at the door before they enter the dressing room. You will get the p**s taking out of you.
“It is about getting the balance right. There is a ferocious intensity in training. Fellows do extra training sessions and when we do that we do it well. The same applies to the matches.
“But off the field there is a great balance with guys having the craic and a laugh, going out for a few pints.
“It is about having the balance and being able to do both.”


Frankie Sheahan was in philosophical mood as he called time on his Munster career at Thomond Park on Friday night last.
While Munster supporters said an emotional farewell to several squad members as Tony McGahan’s side were presented with the Magners League trophy, fans reserved a special ovation for two stalwarts who were departing the squad, hooker Sheahan and winger Anthony Horgan.
Between them the pair played for the province for some 25 years, making more than 300 appearances in the famous red jersey.
The duo’s place in Munster rugby folklore is assured.

Anthony Horgan
Anthony Horgan says he will miss going to the gym in the morning, the craic, the camaraderie and close bond that exists among the players.
The 32-year-old winger called time to his 12-year professional rugby career in the best possible way, marking his 146th and final appearance for the province by arrowing over for a stunning late try.
So what went through Horgan’s mind just then: “There is another couple of years left in me yet, lads,”
“I don’t know what I was thinking. It would be hard to put it into words, to be honest. It won’t sink in until the boys go back training and you know you won’t be joining them.
“But when one door closes, another one opens, hopefully.
“As much as I will miss the game, I will miss going into the gym in the morning, it’s the craic that you have.
“As Fogs (Denis Fogarty) said it’s a second family. That will be the hardest part of it, to be perfectly honestly.
“I would recommend Munster to any player because you will have some laugh, I can tell you that!
“I felt like crying when I saw the whole team running at me after I scored the try. It is impossible to put into words how I feel. Munster has been 12 years of my life.
“I have been more than a third of my life doing this. So it is impossible to describe.”
Horgan and Sheahan, who is due to move to French side Brive later this year assuming he recovers from the ‘pec’ injury he received in Friday night’s tie with the Ospreys quickly, have been close friends from the time they won a Munster Schools Junior Cup together at the start of the 1990s.
“Myself and Frankie have been friends since school. Even outside of rugby we were pals,” Anthony Horgan revealed. The week building up to the match was normal enough.
“I spoke to Frankie on the morning of the game.
“There was a strange feeling in the belly, knowing that it was over after tonight. For some reason, Frankie Sheahan, who was also on the bench, was in quite humorous form for the opening 40 minutes.
“But when we came out after half time he said we shouldn’t be messing any more because we would be going on. Myself and Frankie said we would enjoy today!
“There are too many fantastic memories over the years. To pick one or two out would be just impossible.”

Frankie Sheahan
Frankie Sheahan played with Munster for 13 seasons, making his debut for the province against Western Samoa in November 1996.
Thirty-two-year-old Sheahan made 154 appearances in total.
“There was huge emotion out there I suppose after 13 years,” Sheahan revealed afterwards.
“I suppose a lot of people will remember 13 years ago and there may have been 200 or 300 at a game like this. Having the Celtic League wrapped up and 22,000 or 23,000 supporters here tonight. It’s phenomenal. It’s Munster, but its rugby in general and the way it has grown.
“It’s incredible, really. To be a part of that is immense. To have two small fellows (sons) around tonight and my wife, it’s great.
“Unfortunately all good things come to an end. I will be moving on after tonight. That is the way it goes. It has been a great journey and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

Denis Fogarty
MUNSTER hooker Denis Fogarty will have more than a passing interest in Saturday’s Heineken Cup decider at Murrayfield.
Fogarty’s brother John, also a hooker, is set to be included in Leinster’s Match Day ‘22 for the big showdown with Leicester Tigers.
Denis and John Fogarty were in direct opposition when Munster and Leinster clashed in the semi-final of the Heineken Cup at the start of the month. Twenty-five-year-old Denis Fogarty, who admits he’s a ‘devil for messin and joking’ when the time is right, was selected as Man of the match in the win over the Ospreys.
He said: “John (Fogarty) is getting ready for the Heineken Cup final. He is in the Leinster squad. I got to come on against him in the Heineken Cup semi-final at Croke Park. That was great for the family.
“It was a good moment. Afterwards John didn’t say very much. He probably felt that I had had my day in the sun already with Munster. I was delighted for him personally. He has been around for a long time. Losing that semi-final was tough to take for us, but I wish him a load of luck in the final and I hope he gets on.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment