Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Pucciariello calls time on four fantastic seasons

WHEN prop Federico Pucciariello pulled the door of the weights room closed at UL this Tuesday and walked into the pleasant afternoon sunshine, the significance of the day finally dawned on him.
It was the last time in a rugby career spanning 14 years that powerful front row forward Pucciariello would pump iron in a weights room, straining every sinew, every muscle and ounce of energy to ensure he remained in pristine physical condition for the weekend challenge on the rugby pitch.
This Friday evening at Thomond Park, Pucciariello will call time on four decorated seasons with Munster as the two-time Heineken Cup champions are presented with the Magners League following end of season tie with the Ospreys (7.45pm).
Former Italian international Pucciariello admits it will be an emotional occasion, but he has convinced himself to see it as the start of a new chapter in his life rather than the end of an old one.
Next month 33-year-old Pucciariello, his wife Carlotta and their two children will move to Federico’s home town of Rosario in Argentina to begin a new life away from the rigours of professional rugby.
He will turn his attention full-time to a bio-fuel company he has established in recent times.
Gifted Barcelona soccer star Lionel Messi, perhaps Rosario’s most famous son, owns an apartment close to the Puccicariello’s new home in Rosario.
So picture the scene during in the coming months. Pucciariello, the rugby prop and Messi, the soccer superstar, swapping stories about how they succeeded in conqueroring Europe.
Should Pucciariello see action this Friday night at Thomond Park, it will be his 85th appearance for the province. His passion, infectious enthusiasm and boundless energy made him a hit with Munster supporters from the first day he arrived from Bourgoin in the summer of 2005. Averaging 21 games a season, Pucciariello has been a cornerstone of the Munster front row for four seasons.
Pucciariello said he decided when Munster offered him a two-year contract in 2007 that it would be his last in professional rugby.
“I had been moving around Europe for 10 years with several different clubs, Narbonne, Gloucester and Bourgoin and it was difficult for my wife and family, so I knew it would be my last contract,” Federico Pucciariello said.
“I came to Munster from Bourgoin because I saw it as a challenge. Munster already had international props in Marcus (Horan) and John (Hayes). I knew I would have to compete very hard. But that is what I like. The last four seasons have flown by very quickly. The time seems to have passed like it was two weeks. I had the option to live in Limerick or Cork. But when I came to Limerick I was taken with how friendly people were. They were chatty and smiling.
“I had never stayed more than three years with any of my previous clubs, but I enjoyed myself so much with Munster that I have been here for four seasons.
“Being involved with this team has been something very special.
“There have been so many highglights.But winning the Heineken Cup for the first time against Biarritz in 2006 was a terrific occasion. The first time you do something is better than any other time.
“The All Blacks game at Thomond Park was another highlight. I still keep thinking we should have won that match. And winning the Magners League this year was very satisfying too. It is so competitive. I was fortunate enough to score seven tries during my time with Munster. Scoring a try gives me a great sensation. It is so hard for a prop to score.
“I don’t like to think of Friday night as a time for saying good bye. It is not the end of something, but the start of a new chapter.
“But I plan to be back in Limerick two or three times each year in the coming years.”

Colm Kinsella

0 comments:

Post a Comment