Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Boland’s signing will boost the Super Blues

LIMERICK FC manager Pat Scully says a victory in Saturday night’s Airtricity League First Division game with Athlone Town would leave him ‘pleasantly pleased’ with his side’s progress at the end of the first series of league games.
Limerick FC will travel to Lissywoollen in confident mood on the back of their precious 1-0 victory over Shelbourne at Jackman Park on Monday night.
And, Limerick will also be boosted by the availability of experienced new signing Willie John Boland for the game.
Thirty-four-year-old Boland, who played English Premier League with Coventry City, went on to become Cardiff City’s longest-serving player, lining out for the Welsh outfit 234 times over seven years. Former Carew Park schoolboy star Boland is about to fulfil a long-held ambition and line out with his home town club.
A knee injury prompted Boland to announce his retirement last year and take up a coaching role at Hartlepool United. However, his recovery from the injury and the chance to play for Limerick FC has seen the tough-tackling midfielder reverse that decision.
Boland said: “This is something I definitely want, my knee has recovered and I’ve been back training for around 12 weeks now. I only want to come back if I’m at my best and can give it everything.
“I had a lot to consider, including my family. Also this is my hometown club and I don’t want to let anyone down,” Boland said.
Manager Pat Scully is excited by Boland’s arrival at Jackman Park.
Scully said: “I’m not just looking for players in certain positions, they have to have the right attitude, they have to be able to add something significant to the squad or else you run the risk of disrupting the balance.
“Willie came highly recommended as a person and a professional, obviously we know he’s a great player. As a professional in England for 17 years he’s only had three clubs. That speaks volumes, he’s a lad managers want to hang on to.”
Manager Scully said it was important that Limerick manage to build on Monday night’s win over Shels - a headed goal from defender Declan Cahill saw Limerick secure three precious League points.
“If we can get a good result on Saturday against Athlone then I think we can look back on the first series of games and say we are pleasantly pleased,” Pat Scully said.
“If we can go there and perform and defend like we did tonight, then I think we have a good chance of winning the match. With any luck I think we would be up to 19 points and be in around fourth and maybe even third.
“We would be reasonably happy with that, but the most important thing is that we keep pushing on. We have lost four games, but we are capable of going on a good run and winning matches. I don’t think we will draw many, to be fair. I think we will win a lot of games with the amount of chances we create. I am reasonably pleased. There are things we need to brush up on. If we keep improving and keep learning, I think we can finish the season very well.”
Pat Scully said that while he was pleased with the side scoring a set-piece winner against Shels, he felt they needed to score more goals in such a manner.
“We knock some great set pieces in week after week. We should score more goals from those situations,” Pat Scully said.
“Declan is an aggressive lad. He got his head on the ball brilliantly and more importantly he defended well as did Paddy (Purcell) and the rest of the team.
“We played some good football when he had the chance to go forward. Tonight was always going to be about desire against a very experienced Shels side. I think we more than matched them in that respect.”

COLM KINSELLA

0 comments:

Post a Comment