Monday, May 31, 2010

Willie Casey now turns his attention to a European title

LIMERICK pro-boxer Willie Casey is targeting a European title fight after Saturday’s stunning success in Sky Sport’s Prizefighter Series.
The 28-year-old Southill man claimed the £32,000 winner’s prize after three impressive wins in the Prizefighter event at London’s York Hall.
“This victory means I’m up there at the top of the division and I’ve proved I can be with the best,” said a delighted Willie Casey, who entered the Super Bantamweight Prizefighter 12 event after injured forced the withdrawal of Wayne McCullough.
“I only came here with five fights on my record, but I beat everyone against all the odds.
“The best in Britain were in this competition including Esham Pickering and Jamie Arthur, but I’m the one left standing,” said Casey.
“It was a great opportunity and if a big fight comes up then I will always take it.
“Prizefighter came along and without hesitation I accepted it. I was a bit edgy before the start as I normally come on stronger in the later rounds, but then I had a fast start in my first fight.”
He added: “I showed a lot of character and that I have a big heart as there were some great lads in this.
“Who knows what the future holds?
“I might get a shot at the European title after winning Prizefighter. I’m very proud of everything I’ve done.”
After his win Willie Casey dedicated winning the title to his uncle Jim.
“I’m proud. I’m proud for my coaches, for my family, my wife and kids, my father and everyone else. This win puts me right up there; at the end of the day the ‘Big Bang’ wins. I wasn’t interested in the money, money was the least of my worries. It was all about the trophy and getting my name up there,” said Casey.
The Limerick man brought an unbeaten record of five wins into the Prizefighter Series. He made his pro-debut in October 2008.
A former Irish intermediate featherweight champion Willie Casey is a former member of Our Lady of St. Saviour Boxing Club in Southill.
Casey, who is being coached in Dublin by former Olympian and double European championship bronze medal winner Phil Sutcliffe is nicknamed ‘The Big Bang’ and is managed by Don O’Leary.
Casey claimed the winning trophy after an epic night of live boxing on Sky Sports with a unanimous points victory over Scottish substitute Paul McElhinney.
McElhinney got his chance in the final after Welshman Ricky Owen sustained a bad cut during his semi-final win denied him a final appearance.
Willie Casey won an incredible semi-final on points against Barnsley’s Josh Wale in a contest where a staggering 532 punches were thrown in three rounds.
“Up Limerick,” said a beaming Willie Casey into the live TV cameras after the he won a split decision.
“I’m going all out for the win now.
“I’m after beating all the odds and I’m going all the way,” said the Limerick man.
Casey had started the night with a third round stoppage of Mark Moran.

JEROME O’CONNELL

0 comments:

Post a Comment