Monday, May 24, 2010

Casey set to feature on Prizefighter

LIMERICK pro-boxer Willie Casey has jumped at the chance to accept a last minute call-up to Sky television’s latest Prizefighter Series.
The 28-year-old Southill man will fly out to London this week to fill the void left by the late withdrawal of Wayne McCullough.
The Super Bantamweight Prizefighter event takes place next Saturday night in London.
“He was an idol to me and I really looked up to him when I was starting out,” said Willie Casey, who has four knock-out victories in his unbeaten five-fight pro-career.
“I followed his career from after the 1992 Olympics, he fought some great Mexicans and took on Naseem Hamed and I remember watching those fights.
“I don’t feel under pressure as his replacement though, it’s more excitement - although it would’ve been so great to fight him and I know his style would suit me. But I’m just delighted to be in Prizefighter and it’s my chance to prove that I can make it to the top,” said Willie Casey.
The Limerick man enters the Prizefighter Series after an impressive victory over the previously undefeated Canadian Super-Bantamweight champion Tyson Cave, flooring him four times enroute to his fourth knockout victory.
Casey made his pro-debut in October 2008. A former Irish intermediate featherweight champion, Casey is a former member of Our Lady of St. Saviour Boxing Club in Southill.
Casey, who is being coached in Dublin by former Olympian and double European championship bronze medal winner Phil Sutcliffe is nicknamed ‘The Big Bang’ and is managed by Don O’Leary.
“They don’t call me Big Bang for nothing - I like a good scrap,” said Casey.
“I like to get in there and I like boxers who like to get involved as it makes the fights more exciting.
“Cave was 10-0 before he faced me and I went over to Canada and beat him so my confidence is sky high going into this.”
Despite the late call-up to Saturday’s live event on Sky Sports, Caseys is adamant that he is ready.
“I train for every type of fight and every type of scenario and I prepare for everything - last minute replacements, change of fighters, anything,” said Casey.
“You have to prepare for everything in this game as anything can happen at the last minute - mentally and physically you have to be ready for that and I am.
“I’m an exciting fighter and the last thing people want to do with me is take me lightly.
“Don’t look at my record and think ‘he’s only fought five times’ - you don’t want to take any chances with the Big Bang.”

JEROME O’CONNELL

0 comments:

Post a Comment