Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thiam - Andy Lee’s biggest test

LIMERICK pro boxer Andy Lee can move a step closer to a European or world championship title fight with his 21st win in this Saturday’s Yanjing Fight Night at the University Sports Arena.
The 25-year-old middleweight will face former European champion and two-time world title challenger Mamadou Thiam in his fourth professional fight in Limerick.


Lee headlines the attractive event which will feature a total of ten fights in what is the most exciting pro-boxing event to be staged in Limerick.
Two Irish titles will also be on the line in Limerick as local favourite Jamie Power looks to capture the Irish Light Heavyweight title against John Waldron while Dublin’s Ian Tims will put his unbeaten record on the line in an Irish Cruiserweight title decider with Michael Sweeney.
Tickets for the Yanjing Fight Night are priced from €30 and are available from Ticketmaster (phone 0818 719 300 or visit ticketmaster.ie) or from The University Sports Arena, the George Hotel and the South Court Hotel. The event will be televised live on RTE 2 from 9pm on Saturday.
Also boxing on Saturday will be world and European champion Katie Taylor in an exhibition bout in an international amateur contest.
“It’s always an incredible experience walking to the ring in your hometown,” said Lee who flew into Ireland this Monday after a training camp in Florida with coach Emanuel Steward.
“You recognise so many people in the crowd and it really brings it home to you that you are representing Limerick as much as you are yourself. The support is always incredible and the buzz in the city on the week of a fight when I head home is always great,” said Andy Lee, a former St Francis Boxing Club Olympian.
A win on Saturday should catapult Lee up the world rankings as he faces his toughest challenge to date.
Mamadou Thiam is one of boxing’s biggest hitters with an incredible 43 of his 46 wins coming via KO. The 38-year-old has a record of 46 wins from 54 contests over a career spanning back to 1993.
“Of course I am predicting a knockout, that is what I do for a living,” said Thiam as the Senegal-based Parisian vowed to knock out Andy Lee.
“Some people sell cars, some people build houses, some people drive buses, I knock people out. I suppose I’m like a dentist because we both take teeth out for a living. It’s not a personal thing for me, I’m sure Andy Lee is a very nice guy, but this is a business and a very hard business and there is no room for nice guys. Lee is a big name in Ireland, but I have fought at the highest level and I know what it takes to succeed there.
“Lee will be a good scalp for me and put me in a position to win another European title,” said Thiam.
“I’ve fought all over the world and I’m excited about fighting in Ireland. I heard that the scenery there is beautiful, but for Andy Lee the view from the canvas won’t be so pretty!”

Jerome O’Connell

0 comments:

Post a Comment